Current:Home > NewsPrince Harry drops libel case against Daily Mail after damaging pretrial ruling -Legacy Profit Partners
Prince Harry drops libel case against Daily Mail after damaging pretrial ruling
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:15:14
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry dropped his libel lawsuit Friday against the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid following a ruling in which a judge cast doubt on his case as it was headed to trial.
Lawyers for the Duke of Sussex notified the High Court in London that he would not continue the suit against Associated Newspapers Ltd.
No reason was given, but it came the day he was due to hand over documents in the case and after a punishing ruling last month in which a judge ordered Harry to pay the publisher nearly 50,000 pounds (more than $60,000) in legal fees after he failed to achieve victory without going to trial.
The action will leave him on the hook to pay the publisher’s legal fees, which the Daily Mail reported to be 250,000 pounds ($316,000). A spokesperson for the duke said it was premature to speculate about costs.
The case involved a Mail on Sunday article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after walking away from his role as a working member of the royal family.
Harry’s lawyers claimed the article attacked his honesty and integrity by purporting to reveal that court documents “contradicted public statements he had previously made about his willingness to pay for police protection for himself and his family whilst in the U.K.” He said the article would undermine his charity work.
The publisher argued the article expressed an honest opinion and caused no serious harm to his reputation.
In March, Harry sought summary judgment — to win the case without going to trial — and tried to knock out the Mail’s defense but a judge didn’t buy it.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Dec. 8 that the publisher had a “real prospect” of showing statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry, 39, the estranged younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with the royal family in his willingness to go to court and it has become the main forum for his battles with the British press.
Associated Newspapers is one of three tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
He also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety. He cited media intrusion for his decision to leave life as a senior royal and move to the U.S.
Harry’s spokesperson said his focus remains on that case and his family’s safety.
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (153)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- How Gisele Bündchen Blocks Out the Noise on Social Media
- Wisconsin university system reaches deal with Republicans that would scale back diversity positions
- Guyana is preparing to defend borders as Venezuela tries to claim oil-rich disputed region, president says
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- November jobs report shows economy added 199,000 jobs; unemployment at 3.7%
- November jobs report shows economy added 199,000 jobs; unemployment at 3.7%
- Mormon church selects British man from lower-tier council for top governing body
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Deemed Sustainable by Seafood Industry Monitors, Harvested California Squid Has an Unmeasurable Energy Footprint
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Deemed Sustainable by Seafood Industry Monitors, Harvested California Squid Has an Unmeasurable Energy Footprint
- Texas teen struck, killed by semi after getting off school bus; driver charged with homicide
- Chef Michael Chiarello Allegedly Took Drug Known for Weight Loss Weeks Before His Death
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Patriotic brand Old Southern Brass said products were US-made. The FTC called its bluff.
- Derek Hough Shares Update on Wife Hayley Erbert’s Health After Skull Surgery
- With no supermarket for residents of Atlantic City, New Jersey and hospitals create mobile groceries
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Air Force grounds entire Osprey fleet after deadly crash in Japan
Chiefs RB Isiah Pacheco ruled out of Sunday's game vs. Bills with shoulder injury
Fatal shooting by police in north Mississippi is under state investigation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Derek Hough Shares Update on Wife Hayley Erbert’s Health After Skull Surgery
FDA approves first gene-editing treatment for human illness
U.S. labor market is still robust with nearly 200,000 jobs created in November